Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Sweet Summer Strawberries
















This is the time of year to make the most of the sweetest of fresh strawberries available in our farmer's markets and "pick-your-own" farms. I recently found a small patch of wild strawberries in a hedgerow on our upstate New York farm - what a treat!



Here is a simple way to use sweet summer strawberries:

Sweetheart Meringue Tarts with Fresh Strawberries

Ingredients:

1 c Sugar
1/2 tsp Baking powder
1/8 tsp Salt
3 ea Egg whites
1 tsp Vanilla
1 tsp Vinegar
1 tsp Water
Fresh sliced strawberries

Directions:

Sift the sugar with the baking powder and salt. Combine the egg
whites, vanilla, vinegar, and water. Add the sugar mixture, 1/2
teaspoon at a time, to the egg whites, alternating with a few
drops of the liquid, beating constantly. When all combined,
continue to beat for several minutes. Place large spoonfuls on
baking sheet and shape into shallow cups. Bake at 225 degrees F.
for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove the meringues form the sheet
quickly and cool them on rack. Once cooled, fill with the sliced
strawberries.

Please enjoy these sweet depictions of strawberries...













3 comments:

  1. Dear Cassandra, Creating a meringue has always been quite beyond me but I do think that, combined with strawberries, it is a marriage made in heaven. One of my favourite summer puddings is Eton Mess, a glorious composition of crushed meringue, whipped cream and strawberries. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post. I wonder if you were down on your knees and elbows to take the picture of those wild strawberries. I was when I took mine. =]

    Cassandra, I wonder, did you get my email? I know that you were away when I sent it. I just used the email that you have printed here. I don't know how to use "MAIL" yet. sigh - one day! If you didn't get it, I will, happily, with no problem, write it again. In any case, will you please see my post, "Troika Gifts" from a week or so ago? Thanks ever so much!

    Love, Katy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Cassie, such a pity I haven't more time to spend here, as I'm leaving on holiday the day after tomorrow... so much to discover!
    But "I'll be back!"

    ReplyDelete


Beatrix & Friends...

Frolicking Lambs

Cassandra Follows...