Dandelions are in full bloom now, due to our recent warm weather. When my sister reported to me that my 3-year-old great nephew picked dandelion bouquets on Easter for his mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother, it reminded me of the hundreds of dandelion bouquets I had gathered as a child and the fun making dandelion crowns, chains and holding them under our chins to determine if we liked butter! Below is my grandmother’s recipe for dandelion salad. Visit this website for the nutritional value of dandelion greens and for fun things to do with this plentiful plant: http://www.activekidsclub.com/art-crafts/dandelion-secrets.html
• 4 c. chopped dandelion leaves
• 3 hard-cooked eggs
• 3 slices bacon
1. Wash and chop dandelion leaves.
2. Fry bacon, crip then crumble.
3. Remove bacon from drippings.
• 1 1/2 Tbsp. flour
• 1 tsp. salt
• 1 egg
• 2 Tbsp. sugar
• 1/4 c. vinegar
• 2 c. milk or water
1. Mix together flour and salt; add egg, vinegar and water.
2. Stir until blended.
3. Add to bacon drippings in pan and cook until thickened.
4. Cool slightly.
5. Pour dressing over dandelion leaves and mix lightly.
6. Garnish with sliced or chopped hard-boiled eggs and crisp bacon pieces.
7. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.
A wonderful old decorative cover by cover artist, Bertha Stuart
Amazing Before and After Renovation
1 hour ago