Monday, April 26, 2010

When Lilacs Last in the Dooryard Bloom’d...














In the dooryard fronting an old farm-house near the white-wash'd palings,
Stands the lilac-bush tall-growing with heart-shaped leaves of rich green,
With many a pointed blossom rising delicate, with the perfume strong I love,
With every leaf a miracle--and from this bush in the dooryard,
With delicate-color'd blossoms and heart-shaped leaves of rich green,
A sprig with its flower I break.

From: “When Lilacs Last in the Dooryard Bloom’d” by Walt Whitman

2 comments:

  1. It is beautiful....I love Lilacs......thanks for sharing Cassandra!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought my lilac was no more after frost damage and a severe cutting back but fresh buds are appearing everyday - it will bloom later than normal (if at all this year) but I'm so glad to see it has survived!

    Lovely poem and illustrations.

    Jeanne
    x

    ReplyDelete


Beatrix & Friends...

Frolicking Lambs

Cassandra Follows...