Thursday, June 3, 2010

Ah...the Lovely Roses of June!






















For if I wait," said she, "Till time for roses be,-
For the moss rose and the musk rose,
Maiden-blush and royal-dusk rose,-
"What glory then for me
In such a company?-
Roses plenty, roses plenty
And one nightingale for twenty?"

~ Elizabeth Barrett Browning

The roses above, which have been blooming profusely among the magnolias outside my library's window, inspired me to gather some of my antique decorative publishers' editions featuring roses on their covers and to do some scanning. Please click on the photo below to enjoy these lovely artists' renderings from long ago...
The Rose in Decorative Publishers' Bindings
The rose speaks of love silently, in a language known only to the heart. ~ Unknown

3 comments:

  1. Roses are so pretty 1 I have many old antique illustrated books too. Unsure what to do with them half the time, as I do not display them with the cover showing, thanks ! Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful book covers. I am partial to roses and those are just wonderful. I would love to read each one too.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Cassandra,

    I noticed that you were following my blog, and had to pop by and say hello! Your blog is so lovely, as are your roses. My girls and I would love to peruse your library~ sigh . . . :)

    Love,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete


Beatrix & Friends...

Frolicking Lambs

Cassandra Follows...