Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A New & Joyful Season


Grandchildren are a grandparent's link to the future,
and grandparents are the child's link to the past.
~ Author Unknown

Something wonderful – transformational, in fact – is happening soon: I am becoming a grandmother!  Our first grandchild, a granddaughter, is due in mid-May.

Despite the fact that some friends and acquaintances have hinted that perhaps I should feel wistful or even sad that I will now be fully considered an “older woman,” I have NO ill-feelings whatsoever about this next stage in my life. To me, this is a totally joyful and long-welcomed event – a great blessing and gift bestowed upon our family.

Grandchildren are God's way of compensating us for growing old.
~ Mary H. Waldrip

I consider our granddaughter’s birth as the advent of a new generation of our family – connecting all of our families’ past and future generations across time.  I look forward to sharing with our son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter gifts of time, patience, love, laughter, wisdom, experience, and memories; developing and growing with them all; and walking along side with them in whatever ways I can be of service.

Everyone needs to have access both to grandparents and grandchildren
in order to be a full human being.
~ Margaret Mead

Interestingly, I have discovered, I am considered an older grandmother; since I am nearly 14 years older than the current average grandmother age of 47!  It is amazing to me to realize that when I was born, my own two wonderful grandmas were 3 and 7 years younger than my current age.

A childhood filled with wonderful memories of time spent with grandma
is a better inheritance than a bank account.
~ Adair Lara

Cassandra's Maternal Grandma
Cassandra with her Paternal Grandma
Yet, this ”boomer’ grandma will NOT be, as Adair Lara in The Granny Diaries defines, “the stereotype…of a comforting human antique trailing a faint smell of lavender and strewn with cookie crumbs”!   I have every intention of following in the footsteps of my dear friends and youngest sister who are savvy, strong, healthy, active, involved and well-loved Nanas, Granbies, Nonnies, Namas, Mamaws, and Grandmas and to whom I have been listening intently!  I realize that I have lots to learn; so, my dear readers, please feel free to dispense your sage grandparenting advice to this eager new Grandma…

[She] is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season.
Psalm 1:3


Marty Norman, in her book, Generation G, has inspired me by aptly comparing this season in life’s cycle to autumn:

“Fall is a good time.

I like to think that, like the fall season, I dance with light, that I reflect and radiate that which I have come to be and believe. I want to be a crisp breath of fresh air to those who are weary from the heat of summer…I pray that as my sun sets, I reflect the clouds about me and shine with all the colors of the rainbow. I like to think that although my leaves are falling, I am dealing with their loss with grace and integrity. I pray my hopes and dreams will germinate and fertilize next year’s growth.

I like that I am fall. I want to take advantage of the opportunity placed before me to prepare for winter, but I also desire to breathe life upon the coming spring. I look forward to time with my grandchildren…whispering with them quietly in the night…telling stories…building make-believe houses…listening laughing and sharing as only a grandmother can do.”


Being a grandmother is the best.
I believe it is the only thing in life that is not overrated.
~ Marty Norman

2 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful post! And everything you say and quote is SO true! We had fun skyping with Quinn last night! Even being a long distance Nama and Grandpa is easier because of technology and you are blessed that your little one will be close by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that you will be getting a granddaughter in May. Can you go back to that beautiful white fence and take a picture of her with you when she's the age you were in the lovely photo with your father's mother? Congratulations. I know you are truly over the moon.

    ReplyDelete


Beatrix & Friends...

Frolicking Lambs

Cassandra Follows...